Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recent Reading




I've been reading a lot of sci-fi books lately, but not the typical star wars bang bang pshew beam me up whoa kind of sci fi, oh no! Books concerned with the Big Questions. Questions like: What constitutes self? What does eternity entail? Where did humanity come from and where is it going? Where did life
come from and where is it headed? Does free will exist? Is all of life truly relative? Is there a meaning? Is there a purpose? Are we truly separate from our surroundings? What is this...reality... that we attempt to conceptualize with limited senses and even more limited language? What is reality's limits? What is the self's limits? What is a limitation, and are there any? Why, for how long, and what the fuck is going on?!?!

This list could go on forever, literally. Instead, read some amazing stories, written so long ago, and yet still challenging the minds of Earth's wisest and most intelligent men and women. The greatest sci-fi writers, based upon the above criteria, are well known to be: Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, and Issac Assimov. If I had it my way, which I do in the world of my blog (sweet, sweet freedom!) I would also add Philip K. Dick to the list.

So, another deep question: how about some examples of the recent stories by these amazing beings that I have read? The answer?!?!!?

Sure.

Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke
Stranger in a Strange Land, By Robert Heinlein
A Scanner Darkly, by Philip K Dick.
The End of Eternity, by Issac Assimov
The God's themselves, by Issac Assimov
Time Enough for Love, by Robert Heinlein
The Last Question, by Issac Assimov

I also just finished listening to the audio book Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson. Though not as philosophically deep, it is equally amazing!!

Hooray for literacy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I really don't like to read, but I'm so glad you enjoy it! I have been reading litle bits of Childhood's End which you gave me, but I am always misplacing it!

    ReplyDelete